kayla - chino, California
Themes: death, family

This I believe

I believe that life is a gift. You are put here, only for a short period of time, with a gift. The gift of life. I believe that everyone is here for a reason of their own. Once you have completed this reason you move on. Life is a beautiful thing if you use it correctly.

My grandma was and still is the strongest person I have ever known. She had an amazing life. She was married to a great man and had five wonderful children. Growing up, my entire family was really close. My grandma was the one that held the family together.

Since around Christmas of 2005, my grandma, had been in very poor health. In and out of the hospital, for one reason or another. It wasn’t looking very good, and the doctors said it wouldn’t be long. But as I said before, she is the strongest person I’ve ever met. She told me and my family, when we all visited the hospital that this is what she was fighting for. Implying our family. Around a week or so later, the doctors came in to talk to us, and to our surprise and theirs, said they have never seen a patient make such a large turn around. She was able to go home a few days later.

My grandma was getting better until another turn-around, this time not a good one. Still she was fighting. After an incident in late April, she needed special care. She was finally getting into stable condition a couple weeks into May. On Thursday, May 11 she made her inevitable turn for the worse. Then Friday, the doctors came in with bad news. There was nothing else they could do for her and they had never seen a patient worse off then my grandma. They didn’t expect her to survive the night. So they let her go home. She fought it all she could. My grandma was seventy-five years old when she past away on Mothers’ Day. She took her last breath in the presence of her husband and kids.

This is definitely one of the hardest experiences of my life. But it has brought my family even closer. You just have to remember that life is a temporary gift. So never take advantage of what you have. Always be thankful and above all remember that life is short.