Joel - Chino, California
Themes: golden rule

I believe that everybody should treat people the way they want to be treated. A few years ago I used to behave pretty badly. After I bought an airsoft gun I did things that I shouldn’t have done. I shot people, I shot animals, and I shot people’s property. One day when I was playing with my friends, we decided to camp out in the bushes and shoot people’s cars as they passed by our street. It was fun for a while shooting cars and seeing them slow down. Then I saw a van coming so I got ready and loaded my gun up. My friend yelled at me and said “Don’t shoot this car.” I told him why not, but it was too late. I pulled the trigger and the guy slammed on his brakes and reversed to our spot in the tree. He told us all to come out or he would call the police. So I came out, but my friends didn’t and took the blame for shooting his car. My parents made me apologize to him later that night. I learned from this experience that I shouldn’t be doing things to people that I don’t want to happen to me in return. If I switched places with the guy I shot at I would of understood why he was so angry at me.

Another experience I had was when we ordered pizza to random houses in the phone book. I felt sorry for the pizza man and all the people that put there hard work into making the food for nobody to enjoy. It was funny at first for me. Then as I kept calling them and the money wasted kept rising I realized how terrible I had become. I looked back to what I did shooting cars and said “Do I want to be treated like this?” Once again I put myself in the shoes of a delivery man. I would be extremely mad after driving to a house to deliver a pizza and find out that they didn’t even order it. I would probably have to pay for the pizza out of my paycheck. After a couple more days of that I would quit my job. This is why I think everybody should treat people the way they want to be treated.