Roger - 10510, New York
Themes: carpe diem

I am by no means adept when it comes to speaking of profound truths and providing an outpouring of philosophical ideals. I have a limited knowledge in science and religion, and so, cannot offer any universal truths or applications of any sort regarding them. It has always seemed too troublesome to concern myself with such things. However, this is not to say that I have no beliefs whatsoever.

A few weeks ago my cousin had open heart surgery; he was only three months old. The surgery was successful, but he developed other problems; he required a feeding tube and an oxygen supply until he was fully recovered.

I went with my parents and relatives to see him one day. The doctors told us he was going to be fine, and would be released from the hospital in a week. Everyone sat around saying how unfortunate it was that he had to stay in the hospital. I, on the other hand, envied him. He lay there in the hospital bed, with Mozart playing softly from a small radio. The feeding tube provided him with food twenty-four hours a day. I would love to be able to lay back and relax, being fed constantly, with no worries.

I believe in being lazy. I will not make excuses as to why I am lazy. The problem is that I just can’t be bothered to do so many things that I feel are a complete waste of energy. I’d much rather lay back and watch the clouds go by, than spend my time practicing for some sport. To me it’s not worth the stress and frustration to cram as many things into my day as I possibly can.

There have even been studies done that show how beneficial laziness can be to one’s life. I haven’t actually taken the time to read about any of them, but from what I’ve heard, I’ll end up being smarter, healthier, and able to live longer. This is all good news, but even if the studies had proved the opposite, I doubt it would be much motivation for me to become more active.

I believe that it just isn’t worth all of the stress and all of the worrying. I would not mind at all if I was to die at the age of fifty or even forty, having spent my days doing the two things that I enjoy most: watching the clouds and taking naps.

Some may say that this way of living life is a complete waste and that I will accomplish nothing. To them I say nothing, for I cannot be bothered to engage in some long, drawn out argument that will benefit me in no way. Not that it requires any argument. All they’d have to do is simply compare my amount of stress, sleep deprivation, and frustration with their own.

I believe that laziness is beneficial, and I will never have spent too much time watching the clouds go by.