Papa - Aliso Viejo, California
Age Group: 65+

Balance versus The Rule of Law

We hear and read much rhetoric these days referring to The Rule of Law which unquestionably forms the basis of a stable society. But we need to keep in mind that this Nation would not exist if our Founding Fathers had not chosen to go against the rule of law at their time. Likewise, Nazi Germany’s infamous activities would not have taken place if it’s citizens had chosen to go against their rule of law. History is filled with other examples.

Balance in all things is essential to avoiding undesirable results. To achieve balance requires thoughtful analysis by those people responsible for actions taken at any given time in our ever changing world. This analysis cannot be subject to prejudice of any kind if valid conclusions are the intention. This is true for everyone, not just our leaders.

The rule of law that may appear to be correct in today’s world may not be correct for tomorrow’s world. Therefore, it cannot be a concept cast in stone and not subject to question or change. There are important concepts such as integrity and the respect for others as well as oneself that are not subject to change. The rule of law is not one of these.

Whether we like it or not, we are all part of a great adventure into the future. We have come a short way towards a more civilized state. We have a much longer way to go. We have made mistakes in the past. We will make more mistakes as we continue. But our ever increasing knowledge and experience will help us along the way.

I believe we will succeed in this adventure.