William - Richmond, Virginia

The Conformity of American Politicians

It appears that since I have been able to think on my own and develop my own political stance, I have begun to recognize that our government officials, furthermore the leaders of the “free” and democratic nation of America, cannot stand up for what they truly believe in. When looking back at the founders of our nation and drawing comparisons to present day political leaders, one can observe the harsh reality of the lack of passion, and even worse a lack of sincerity for the lives of their fellow Americans.

I believe that the leaders we elect are forced to conform to their political parties line, and, by doing so, fail to create necessary changes to our country. I am astonished when seeing a politician standing before a formal convention and preaching that he/she will fight to insure the banning of abortion or better yet same sex marriage. Whether or not I support either issue makes no difference, but it truly doesn’t make that much of a difference to politicians who act so passionately. You must keep in mind that while this prestigious member of American politics is giving their note worthy speech, there are still American citizens living in cardboard boxes and standing in the crowded lines of soup kitchens all across the county. Yet, politicians do not discuss this issue because their party does not feel that it will bring about votes.

Since when has politics changed to become about statistics and the quantity of votes, rather than the continuation of improving the well-being of United States citizens? When observing the last few elections and the leaders that have successfully been elected into office, it is hard to truly discover where our nation has progressed. We spend billions of dollars on the War on Terror without taking the necessary expenses out to provide to our needy citizens. I am not saying that the United States is not making it a safer world to live in but I believe that to truly return to the foundation that was established by our forefathers we must first think on our own and focus attention on the lives of those in despair.