Jennifer - 60187, Illinois
Themes: work

A Job Well Done

When I do a job well, I totally get that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you watch good original Disney movie. I believe that there is always pride in work well done. With that job done, there is a sense of fulfillment and completion. You don’t have to do it the best in the world, only as well as you can do.

When I played violin in my younger years, I would always say that I could play that well if I practiced for a gazzilion hours. So, long story short, I simply slacked off in playing, and then practiced like crazy when I had competitions. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that judges could tell the difference between a well done job and a job that was done half-hearted-ly. I could hit the notes fine, but when it came to technique and passion, I was lacking and terrible. It didn’t sound like drastically as bad as a dying animal, but it wasn’t the best I could have done. However, the judge wouldn’t be able to rate my ability just by my “if only” words. It was plain that I didn’t play very well, but it wasn’t plain that I could play well if I put in effort. The contrast between the haunt of a badly done job and the content felt in an accomplishment is a drastic one.

If you do a job well, you not only feel the warm feeling, but it also is a faster and wiser choice. Now, where did I get this idea?

Since you’ve asked, when going about my weekly chores, I had to fold clothes with my brother. My brother took a very short time and just sort of clumped the clothes up because he didn’t care about them. I took a longer time to fold them because I folded them orderly and also stacked them according to whose they belonged to. When we went to put them away later in the day, it took me a much shorter time to put them away because I had put hard work into it from the beginning, while my brother didn’t, and it cost him later. Hard work may take longer in the short run, but it’ll take shorter in the long run.

Hard work may also help others beside yourself too. Last year, when I had to do my I-search project, I worked really hard on it, practicing the lines to my brother and parents to get it right, etc. The hard work I put into it not only helped my grade, but it also sparked an interest in my brother, who became even more interested in electronics and stuff. He would ask intelligent technological questions about the software and it really did help spark his mechanics and computer interests. I bet that if I hadn’t worked hard on that, it would never have caught his interest.

I believe in a job well done, and when a job is well done, you don’t need an “A+” on your paper or a “fantastic sticker” on your test, you just know, and that feels so good.