Daniel - Minnetonka, Minnesota
Themes: setbacks

Mistakes

In my past I have screwed up. I am still screwing up and I will continue to screw up. I am also continuing to live on and thrive through the mistakes that I make. Not too long ago, I got a girl pregnant, not a woman, a girl. I am dealing with the consequences of this mistake and will continue to live with them for the rest of my life.

I wish someone had told me sooner that life is not about what you want but what you do and where you go. Nowhere along the line has someone been commended for only thinking and acting upon what they want. Those that have been commended have existed and thrived by following a set of guidelines that have been laid before them by their parents.

This situation gets a little more complicated when you have divorced parents. Having divorced parents made me grow up quicker than I wanted and forced me to grow up quicker than I had hoped to. I don’t blame them for the way I am but their situation has caused certain messages and experiences in my life to be lost.

When I started trying to find my own beliefs in my life a while back, I was out to prove that I could do whatever and I did not care about anything other than what I wanted. Needless to say I got into some bad situations, some of which I was able to work through on my own. But the situation that is the hardest to deal with is the one that I have no control over whatsoever.

My experiences have separated me from, what is in my mind, a majority of our countries population. This separation has helped me learn life lessons in a short amount of time. I wish today that I had been able to learn these lessons in a manor that is different than making a mistake.

I believe that life takes mistakes to learn.

I believe that parents shape and mold the way we are. But that it is we, not our parents who set and control our course in life. Our parents can shape and mold us to a certain point and must do this to guide our way. Once we try to become our own person and have separate ideas from our parents, there is nothing that they can do except sit aside and be there to help when we inevitably make a mistake, however big or small it may be.