Lauren - Vista, California
Themes: pleasure

This I Believe”

I believe there is no wrong way to eat a Reese’s. I personally rotate around the candy, carving away the hard, chocolaty shell, exposing the peanut-buttery goodness inside. I take my time, eating the chocolate separately. It is now not only one candy, but two. Eating the chocolate wall first, only makes the soft peanut butter sandwich better with each bite. In comparison it’s night and day; the smooth chocolate paralleled with the grainy peanut butter taste is a perfect combination.

Yet, this is not the only way to eat a Reese’s. There are countless ways to eat them, and they are all correct. Some people eat them in one lethal swoop, while others nibble away to the core. Some people don’t even like Reese’s. For some, Skittles is there weakness, while some people stay away from sweets all together.

I go about life the same way I eat a Reese’s, nice and slow, savoring every bite I take. Ever since I was little I’ve eaten candy slowly. If fact, I eat all my sweets slowly. I want the taste to last as long as possible. I want that feeling to last as long as possible. I went to Europe about two years ago. While there, I ate half of Italy’s supply of gelato, while my friend, Ellen, ate the other half. In the beginning I slurped that stuff down as fast as I could, only wanting more. Yet, as we reached the outskirts of Italy, and therefore the lesser supply of gelato, I ate it like it was the last food I would ever have. I never wanted it to go away. Every new place I went, I never wanted the feeling of it to disappear. That sense of freedom of not knowing your surroundings; being able to look at something for the first time and get that once in a life time impression, that leaves its mark on you forever. In each place the air was different, the smells enhanced the culture and the people were remembered.

After an experience like that I thought nothing could compare; the relationships I had and the places I had seen felt like a separate life. Yet, after awhile, I finally reached that peanut-buttery goodness and realized the lifelong affect that it had on me. Europe was just the chocolate shell to the amazing changes that came with the experience.