Kelley - Vista, California

I believe in a smile”

It is difficult to choose a belief, something that you always hold true. But after a moments thought, I uncover my belief. I believe in a smile. A smile is genuine, warm, and personal, but is displayed so that everyone can see it. They are highly contagious, but it is not a bad thing. It is a universal way of communicating, and it often times says more than words can. A smile is friendly and comforting but can be shared between strangers. It is something that everyone has, and it reminds us of our similarities despite our differences. A smile has an unnoticed power. It can change a face, a mood, and a person. It is kindness. When I think of a smile, I think of family, past and present. My great grandma used to make quilts for our family. You can always seem to find one in our house. She never needed an occasion to gift one, and they were always so personal. My quilt is lying on a chair in the corner of my room. The stitches are worn, the fabric has since faded, and I can spot an occasional tare. My quilt is a million memories. It tells a story and it has grown with me, like a smile. I have always found a smile to be true. It is everything good in a person. I always like to believe in smiles.