Landon - Purcellville, Virginia

Belief in Individuality

What makes one different? What makes one stand out? Is it their name-brand clothes? Is it their hairstyle that everyone has? No, it’s their individuality, what one does to be different, whether it be their appearance, actions or character. I believe in individuality, not to be like others, but to be different. I believe one should be celebrated for their differences, not shunned because they are the odd one out.

Individuality has always been the start of many new and great things. Governments and religions are formed this way all the time. Yet no matter how many good things come from individuality, a person is constantly taught not to be their own person, but to be like their peers. Whether it be that they should not participate in an activity that is not popular among their friends, that they should not dress a certain way as it is not the “in” thing to do or that they should not listen to a certain type of music, persons trying to be an individual seem to get shutdown everywhere they turn. I believe that if you foster the individual in a person, that person has the ability to reach their full potential in whatever aspect they desire to pursue, and not to be stopped because of the opinions of others.

I believe that those that are individuals should not be judged by others. Too many times are people that are trying to be different, trying to be themselves, embarrassed by others because of their peculiarities and are forced to look and act like their tormentors, just so they do not stand out anymore. These potential individuals are shut down, just because of the words or actions of the majority. If not for the degradation of those that are different, many people would act the way they want and do what the want.

Individuality is what started our great country, a group of people who wanted to be different, who wanted to break from England and start their own country. My own religion was started by individuality, our prophet was told that he should not join any of the current churches, but to start a new one. It is apparent that because of individuality, many new and amazing things have come to pass, and the only way to continue this is to support the individual and defend them against those that try to make them conform.