Mike - Wheaton, Illinois

As I have grown from a child into an adult, it has been a learning experience. As I’ve grown, I’ve watched and listened to everyone around me, parents, friends, neighbors, etc., mostly my parents. There are three things I have learned from them, three traits that I should exhibit in every situation, and those are kindness, friendship, and resourcefulness.

I learned as a child that being kind to anyone in any situation is important. It doesn’t matter who they are, or who their parents were, everyone deserves to be treated with kindness, no matter what. Even if someone, mentally or physically, harms me I try to be nice to them still because they may become a better person if I’m nice to them. Kindness is especially important in making friends. I’ve moved twice to totally new states and kindness towards others has given me a few close friends.

I learned about the same time as kindness the second key to life, friendship. After making a friend, if you want to keep that friend, you need to be friendly. Friendly means not only being kind, but also enjoying time with that friend and being trustworthy with their things and being able to talk to them about issues. I learned the first time I moved that being friendly is the best way to keep friends who I had made. As friends moved away from me, though, I knew that I would make new friends because of my kindness and my friendship.

In 1998, I moved from Virginia to New Jersey. I moved into my new house two days before having to move into kindergarten, my first school experience. I went into orientation not knowing anybody. I went to kindergarten the first two days, not knowing anybody. On the third day, someone was coming back to their house from my class and said to his mother, “Hey, I think that boy is in my class!” Turns out, he lived about four houses down the block from me. He came over and we met, and we began a friendship. I was kind and friendly, and so was he, so we clicked and became friends. From that day, because of my kindness and friendship, I have never been without a friend, even when I moved a second time from New Jersey to Illinois.

Only recently, I have learned about resourcefulness. I found out from my father, mainly, that being resourceful is the best way to be. Being resourceful doesn’t only mean that I’m able to answer questions, but it also means that I can use resources around me to find things out for myself and others. I have found this to be as important in keeping friends as friendship because being resourceful helps me to know when there is a problem so I can talk it over and fix the problem.

Overall, I have found these three traits to be the most important traits to have because in life, friends are the most important people to have. Friends help me get along and not get too down in life. If I ever lost all of my friends, I would hope that there was someone else who would be a friend because of my traits of kindness, friendship, and resourcefulness.