Aubrey - Aldie, Virginia

Coming from an 18 year old girl who was raised in an upper middle class family, this may sound predictable, but still, I believe in makeup.

Ever since preschool all the way until fifth grade, my best friend Missy and I would spend every sleepover doing each other’s make up until the early hours of the morning. So, you could say that I have been perfecting my technique since I was three. Those makeup sessions were vital to our becoming best friends. There is something about changing someone’s appearance for the better, even occasionally for the worse, that really helps you bond with them. We would talk about anything we could think of, being that close into someone’s personal space generally forces conversation. Everything that we learned about each other was because of makeup. I don’t doubt that if we hadn’t shared that common love of makeup, we probably wouldn’t still be such good friends.

Being in high school and having dances such as Homecoming and Prom to attend always requires a great makeup job. Since no one wants to spend tons of money on every dance, they generally ask a friend who does a good job at their own makeup to do theirs for them. In my circle of friends, I have become this person. In no way has this become a burden. It is actually really enjoyable. Having the ability to sit someone down with no makeup on then show them a mirror 20 minutes later and have them become completely giddy, is really amazing. I know makes them feel good, but maybe I do it just because it makes me feel good.

Even more than just in my personal life, I have also been affected by makeup just by watching TV. My favorite example of a show that changes a persons looks would have to be “What Not To Wear,” on The Learning Channel. Sure, they change their clothes and hair, but it isn’t until the makeup is done that the participants totally freak out. More than just making how you look different, makeup has the ability to completely transform the wearer’s personality. There is always an extra glow to someone who doesn’t know how to do their makeup and then has it done professionally. It is really a heartwarming thing to watch them watching themselves.

Makeup may seem to be a materialistic inconsequential good, but it is really so much more than that. People who perceive it to be a shallow and a detriment the feminist cause, are wrong. It is an empowering tool that lets women, and sometimes men, be whoever they want to be whenever they want to be it.