Jasper - Oceanside, California

I believe in writing things down. Life is full of millions of experiences, moments, and memories– and I choose to write it all down. I’m always writing, whether I’m scribbling class notes on pages of lined paper, jotting down my schedule in my planner (which I would go crazy without), or filling up my journal with my thoughts. My friends call me a typical type A, but I can’t help it. I need to plan, to know, to fully experience. I just laugh and say, “Let me write that down for you.“

My room is covered in post-its– little memos to myself in bright pink and purple that remind me to turn in my Crime and Punishment book by Friday or to bake brownies for this Tuesday. I’ve even taken to sticking them to the bathroom mirrors or doors to remind my family things, too.

I don’t remember exactly when my obsession with ‘writing it down’ began (I’m sure I would if I had written it down then), but it must have been around the summer before Freshman year. I left to spend a month and a half with my dad and sisters in Europe. I wanted to remember every moment, each face, how vendor’s crepes with Nutella and bananas tasted, and the crisp yet musky smell of Rome at night. I captured my days in a little journal that my mom gave me to keep in my carry-on bag: “You’ll want to remember this.”

I still read that journal sometimes– find myself laughing at a frustrated me, annoyed at my dad for yet again getting us lost or an my sister who just couldn’t quite grasp the fact that yes, Firenze really was Florence. I kept writing in journals even after I got back from my trip. I have years worth of them now– from being excited, nervous, and intimidated about finally going to high school until now, where I write about being excited, nervous, and anxious about finally going to college.

I’ve written pages about my family, my amazing sisters, my friends, and yeah, boys– but it’s all been for me. To help me grow up. Maybe I just have a bad memory and need to write down every single detail in order to survive my days, but for me, ‘writing it down’ has led me to understand and learn about myself more than I ever could by just venting to my sisters. It makes me be honest with myself and take the time to really reflect. ‘Writing it down’ gives me a sense of clarity, having to sort out my thoughts, organize my brain, and really feel my emotions. Writing it down makes it all real. And because of that, I think it’s been worth all the ink and post-its. After all, I’m pretty sure that I’ll want to remember this, too.