Susan - Palm Harbor, Florida
Themes: setbacks

I believe that sometimes people are too easily deterred from their destiny. I had worked in a veterinary clinic for 12 years and had gotten very used to the sites and smells that most people might find down right unimaginable. We had a very caring and insightful young woman voulenteering in our hospital that had aspirations of going to vet school. One afternoon when she was there, we happened to have a cat come in with a particularly large abscess on his left hind leg. We anesthesthesited the cat and I carefully instructed her in how to shave the area that needed to be cleaned for the surgery. I assisted her in the proper preparation for the surgery, was so proud… she did great! I failed to warn her of the olfactory consequenses of opening a feline abscess (something that I didn’t even think about anymore). My fault….. this won was REALLY BAD…to be honest…it even got to me. As the aroma hit the air, she hit the floor. It was that fast. She never came back. I never got to tell her you really do get used to this. She paid dues for a career that she never persued. It is a shame because I saw real potential for her as a very caring Veterinarian. Never give up on your dream. Realise that there are always “dues”. Pay them. It will be worth it for you in the long run. I hope that this woman ended up in the medical profesion somewhere. If not it is aloss for us all. Never let one moment in time defer you from your dream.