Michelle - Oceanside, California

This I believe; That people should always smile in the hallway.

When walking through the halls and the cattle-like pushing and shoving of my high school, there is not much time to stop and talk to people you know, it is a fight to even get to your classroom before the seven minutes of passing time is over. But there is something you can do that could make someone’s day, and it doesn’t take more than an ounce of strength; just smile, smile at the people you know, and the people you don’t. If you make eye contact just flash a little smile, and it could make all the difference in the world to that person. Everyone goes through ups and downs in their life, and everyone can relate to that day where things just aren’t going well, and there seems to be no one you can trust, and no where you can go to to feel safe. This little act of kindness, even through it seems like it is nothing big, can make the difference in someone’s life. My junior year at my high school was very hard for me as I struggled to find myself. The previous year, I had almost lost a friend to suicide, and this killed me inside. I did not know if this attempt was caused by a lack of my friendship, or if she thought things were just too hard to go on. This friend though, showed me the importance of smiling. She smiled at everyone when walking through the hallways and it made her late almost every day. Although she was personally going through a lot of hard times, she showed me that a smile can make all the difference to people. She would smile and say “hi” to those people she had only met once, and people loved her for it. Whenever someone brought her up, they always commented on how she was always so nice. To me, that friendship meant the world because she taught me so much. A simple smile can make the difference in how your day is going, maybe if I smiled more to her I could have helped her more; but maybe not. Whatever the reason was, she taught me more than I ever thought imaginable, she taught me that a smile was worth more than money and riches, it meant that you were willing to overcome your own personal struggles, and try to help others enjoy life. A smile is the easiest thing to do, but it shows your selflessness, and it shows your love.