Camilla - La Mirada, California
Age Group: 65+

Time is Eternal

I believe time is eternal and that I am living in eternity now.

Time was presented to me in an extraordinary way several decades ago as I stood with a garden hose hand watering a small tree in my garden. I was simply watching the cool water flow out unto the parched earth. This thought came to me unbidden; Time is a gift and this present moment is passing as intended and flowing uninterrupted into the attached moment. I am a part of this passage called Time and it ( present time as much as I am allowed to know) is exceedingly good.

Such joy filled me that I felt a need to share it with my husband who was in another part of the garden. As soon as I spoke, using very feeble words, the overflowing joy faded.

Off went my wrist watch as I begged forgiveness for past obsessions with time. And, oh, how I’d trashed and forsaken it! my youngest daughter once dubbed me,” Big Ben” when I had tried vainly to cram too much into one day.

Years later, the closest I came to understanding my awakening, was that perhaps Time was God’s keyhole; a mortal’s narrow view into that “Cloud of Unknowing”. After I made the decision to return to my childhood faith, I kept that faded sense of how good time is and how I need to live in the present moment as much as I could. Time is so gracious and forgiving, I feel I have all the time in the world, even the world to come. The gift doesn’t stop when my heart quits beating.

My heart has been beating over 72 years non stop close to 60 beats a minute. Does man’s measured minute of 60 seconds come from this? There’s no measuring of time when my heart is full to overflowing. I can only hold beauty or sorrow as it passes. And that’s the lovely part: it’s eternally moving. All things pass.