Jessica - Vista, California
Themes: pleasure

Eat More Ice Cream, Damn It!

I believe that no matter what’s going on in your life, ice cream will make you feel better.

When I was young, I remember getting into arguments with my parents about the silly little things that children upset over. “She stole my toy!” or “Why can’t I go outside!” or the infamous “All I wanted was to trade pokémon cards!!” for starters. But my parents knew that I just needed time to sulk before they used the ultimate forgiveness bargainer: Ice cream. Phrases such as “Can I get a hug? I’ll give you some ice cream…” always won me over. There was no contest to the power of ice cream. Suddenly, my tears vanished and I threw whatever stuffed animal I was clinging to on the floor and frolicked to receive my tasty treat with open arms. Ice cream: The Mediator.

Even now, whenever someone is going through a stressful situation or just having a bad day, ice cream is always there. Talking about the situation only does so much and sometimes the simplest gesture such as taking a friend out to ice cream when they’re feeling crumby, means the world. For that moment, one can only concentrate on the cold goodness that tingles your tongue. Ice cream: When words fall short.

I know this may seem like I’m giving a simple solution to all the problems in the world. But think about what accompanies ice cream: A good time with friends. Laughing and forgetting about troubles for a while. Lifetime movies to cry over always seem to work. I know when I’m in a bad mood I get my pint of ice cream and box of tissues and turn the TV onto Lifetime. It makes me feel better. But maybe it’s a girl thing. Just think if people settled things over ice cream. From immigration laws to wars across the world ice cream could help. It gives people a warm feeling when consumed. If leaders discussed issues with ice cream in their hands… well bowls I suppose… would issues be better resolved? Could we be a more civil universe? Think about it and eat more ice cream, damn it!