Meredith - Kirkwood, Missouri

In today’s world, it seems as though friendships are cut short because of the growing differences in opinions and beliefs. I believe in having friends whose opinions and beliefs differ from my own.

I am a young republican and come from a family of republicans while my best friend is a flaming democrat who comes from a big family of democrats. We disagree on everything politically from the war to taxes. Yet our political feuds never keep us from hanging out nearly every weekend. I have always been a shy girl and worried when my opinion was different from others. But my dear democratic friend helped me to realize that I needed to stick up for what I believe in. Being such good friends with a fiery left winger has transformed me into a more open person. My friend and I agree to disagree because after all we will never come to an agreement on such disputes as abortion.

While our political beliefs are on different orbits we agree that without one another there would be a void in our lives. Political disagreements are put at bay when one of us is in need. When my dog of thirteen years died I was devastated so immediately my friend rushed over with a magazine, my favorite candy and a big hug. It is times like these that I step back and realize how thankful I am that our differences never interfere with our friendship. Earlier this year my best friend was going through some rough times. She was trying to push me and others away. I knew something was wrong and I refused to be pushed out of her life. It turns out she was having a battle with depression and was incredibly thankful that I never gave up on our friendship. Best friends do not come around everyday and no one should allow anything to disrupt them.

Besides politics we have a lot in common, we both love all kinds of music and go to more concerts than our ears can handle, we love nachos, laughing till it hurts, dancing, midnight munchies, and cruising in my abnormally large Suburban. If I were to let differences interrupt our friendship i would be missing out on a strong minded, bubbly, and fun girl. I believe no one should allow political differences to damage a strong friendship.