Jordan - Kirkwood, Missouri

This I believe. During the summers of my childhood the only experience that would break the monotony were the Thursdays at my uncle’s. Since almost my entire family lived in St. Louis, we would all gather at his house to eat, swim, and just enjoy each other’s company. These memorable moments emphasized to me the benefits of spending time with the people that you love and also taught me many other lessons.

The most influential lesson ever taught to me at my uncle’s seemed at first a little peculiar, but soon became my credo in life. Every time anyone one of my family members would get into the pool my uncle would always yell the same thing. “Don’t feel the water first; Just jump in!” I heard this more than anyone else because I am the type of kid that has to feel out the water first before getting in. My uncle’s saying began to stick in my head, but I really did not know what he meant by it.

One day I decided to ask him about it. He told me that it was not about the water, but more about how to approach all situations in life. He said that I should always jump right into situations. I was really confused now. I had always been taught to think about things before doing them. I asked about this and he told me that this moral was just saying to not overanalyze situations, to live in the moment and to really enjoy life.

I was forever a changed man. Before I had always been very cautious and never got myself into uncomfortable situations, but now I had decided to step out of the box. I was always trying new things and living life to its fullest. I now work at a swim camp and whenever we are about to get into the pool I always tell the kids the same thing. “Don’t feel the water first; Just jump in”