Justin - Kirkwood, Missouri
Themes: children

I believe in the importance of a young person in an individual’s life. The influence of an older role model is crucial in the lives of maturing children, but I believe that the affect of the younger individual on the older being is equally important. I’ve witnessed the growth of a human ever since the birth of my nephew. Holden was born on August 26th, 1998. My sister informed me of the impact he would most likely place on my life, but it has become something that I could only absorb through experience. I believe that without the influence of a youngster and reminder of the childhood journey earlier in life, adulthood becomes overwhelming.

A younger influence is the key to a realization of what being an adult is truly about. Personally, my younger nephew has touched my life in more ways than I could have imagined. Holden keeps me in touch with my recent childhood while continuing to help highlight the importance of respect and obedience. Childhood is the original period of time where people are taught personal values of respect and obedience, and keeping a child in my life helps remind me of these crucial aspects.

At times I remain Holden’s good friend, but occasionally I am forced to rise above him and represent an adult leader. Holden has taught me the importance of maintaining a balanced relationship with a young follower in an adult’s life. Our relationship has become a two way bond. If I lean too hard towards screwing around and being the older friend, then I lose my leading quality on true issues in Holden’s life. On the other hand, if I am too hard on Holden, then he and I lose our friendly bond and I just become another strict adult figure.

Everyone needs a younger influence in their lives. I believe that it is an overlooked aspect that is capable of touching the lives of every maturing individual. A young impact on an older life is the realism behind maintaining a balanced adulthood. The downfall of adult moderation is the lost touch with childhood, and I believe that the influence of a younger figure is the key behind maintaining this moderation.