Andrea - oceanside, California
Themes: work

Vince Lombardi once stated, “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” These lines truly represent and mirror the goals that I set in my life. I continually strive for excellence in all that I do, which has resulted in positive and successful outcomes. This priceless journey has brought me immense gratification. While my road to achieve excellence in my endeavors of academics and athletics, specifically, has been quite challenging, this journey has defined my character and has provided me with irreplaceable morals and values that I will continue to live my life by.

Academics is one of my highest priorities. I strive for excellence in this endeavor as I continually balance the daily requirements necessary and push to excel in all areas. I must say that it has been extremely difficult to maintain my rigorous academic schedule, especially while playing volleyball year round. There have been countless instances where my schedule has been overwhelming and difficult, however through perseverance and keeping in mind the long-term benefits of my actions, I have been able to maintain my academic success. The qualities that I have gained through my dedication in education have paved the way for success at USD, the college I will be attending in the fall.

Aside from academics, my athletic commitment to volleyball comes second to none. If there is one word that can describe my connection with the game of volleyball, it is passion. It is this enthusiasm and love of the game, which has allowed me to pursue excellence in this endeavor. I was recently asked during an interview on the local ITV program called “School and Sports Stars” to identify which was more important in an athlete, “talent or hard work?”. I certainly believe that hard work supercedes any amount of talent that an individual possesses. It is the heart, passion, and desire to work hard that make up the intangible qualities of an athlete. I play with this emotion on the volleyball court and I also strive to work hard and incorporate these values as I pursue athletic excellence.

My values of sincere dedication, motivation, determination, and perseverance have positively influenced my academic and athletic life. My Catholic faith, high morals and integrity have instilled a confidence that will lead me to a life of honor, respect and responsibility.