Michelle - Vista, California

It is understandable that people believe in many different things; I do as well. Have you ever been in a horrible mood at school? I’m sure almost everyone has. Well, while you were in that horrible mood, have you ever walked through the hall to have someone smile at you? You can’t avoid a smile. There is no dodging them, jumping over them, or even trying to act like you didn’t see them. When a person smiles, they usually make eye contact with their victim. That victim can’t do anything else but smile back; smiles are contagious. “Ha ha I got you!” they will think to themselves, but wait, I thought you said you were in a bad mood? And now you just smiled back? Whoa!

In my daily life, I try to smile at every person I come in contact with. I believe in the power of a smile. A smile has the power to change someone’s whole mood and outlook on a day. Just to know someone cares, I know personally, always make me feel good inside.

I love it when someone smiles at me, and I have to smile back at them. “Man, they beat me to it!” I think to myself, but I’m glad I’m not the only one who enjoys making people happy. People’s smiles are so beautiful, and all so unique. Every smile tells a story. A smile is a person’s own identity that they have to show to the world. The beauty and sincerity behind a smile makes a world of difference.

I don’t like being angry, hurt, sad, or any other negative emotions. By feeling emotions like those, I feel that I am just wasting my life away by being upset instead of rejoicing for the time I have to spend here on Earth. When I am not in a good mood, I love it when people cheer me up. What does that always include? You got it! A smile. I know the way they feel when I receive them and the way my attitude may be changed. The power of a smile is indescribable, only heart-felt. A smile may also be unpredictable, but receiving one always makes me happy. A smile is so powerful, constant, and utterly unfailing. That is why I believe in the power of smiles.