Allyson - Oceanside, California

I believe in the simple act of kindness. Showing mercy, interest, and genuine care to everyone you may encounter on the road of life. Being nice to everyone doesn’t mean that you’re “fake,” it solely means that you care enough about others around you to respect them, and to see each other on the same level.

A simple “hello,” or a heartfelt “how are you,” can completely change someone’s day. In no way does it hurt me to simply be nice to people. I believe that if I am nice, and caring to those around me I will undoubtedly live a happy and fulfilling life, let alone possibly change that of someone with whom I encounter.

There is never any true way to tell what is happening in our acquaintances lives, or to see past the curtain of their eyes. Would it really hurt me to be nice to someone? Even if I was possibly in a so called “bad mood?” No. But it would sincerely hurt that person if I were the opposite, by in turn acting rude, or with a harsh comment. I don’t want to spend my time being rude, which is only lowering my spirits not to mention anyone’s around me as well.

I believe that we as people can only take so much in our lives, and for some of us there is more on our plate than we can handle. Why not share a short conversation with someone I never talk to… or take the 2 minutes out of my day to help the person in the halls whose books and papers fell on the ground.

I realize that there are many out there less fortunate than myself, and I ask myself why? Why am I so special as to have more than them? … I’m not. I am in no way better than anyone else, by anyone’s standards. So why not give of myself?

I believe in being nice to someone just to be nice. For example, you know the butterflies you get in your stomach when someone you never would have expected wishes you a happy birthday and they genuinely mean it? I want to share that momentary feeling with anyone I encounter. I believe that being nice can get you anywhere you want it to in life, so why not go for it.

I believe in the simple act of kindness, and as I open up a new chapter in my life, and step forth into the real world as an adult, I can only wish to touch as many people as have touched me with a genuinely caring heart.