Maureen - jacksonville, 32258, Florida

I believe that kindness is the best quality an individual can have. I am the oldest of 9 children, born into a large Irish Catholic family. My mother was the 9th of 11 children, my dad the oldest of 5. While growing up, we children were able to witness the occasional hard feelings that inevitably occurred in family get-togethers. One particular incident occurred when my soft spoken grandmother came to plead her case with my Dad, while dragging a reluctant uncle along. Raised voices were heard while we children huddled together in fright in the kitchen, vowing that when we were grown up, we would never disagree or fight.

Sadly those vows did not last. Recently most of our family was gathered together for the joyous wedding of a niece. The weekend was “almost” perfect, until a misunderstanding caused a sister to feel left out and deeply hurt. Despite years of practice in trying to sooth hurts and make nice, I jumped in to the fray and hurt my beloved sister even more. Monday morning quarterbacking is always perfect and now I can see how I could have, should have, not jumped to conclusions, offered unasked for opinions, and caused her even distress. If I had kept in mind the quality of utmost kindness at all times, much pain could have been avoided.

I am now 62 year old, yet I am still learning- trying to always keep in mind that when kindness is always proffered, it inspires a generosity to the soul that is rewarded a hundred fold.