Richard - BOERNE, Texas
Themes: purpose, question

When I was a boy growing up in the 60’s & 70’s we didn’t have much to worry about. Sure, my generation didn’t like the Vietnam war but we got through it and things pretty much returned to normal.

I always thought that things would work themselves out and I’d end up somewhere with somethings. That sooner or later I would know what I wanted to do when I grew up. I didn’t realize that life had begun to pass me by that it truley is a journey not a destination.

But, how do you make such a paradigm shift? When will I know that its ok to enjoy yourself. That its alright to let down your guard.

I can’t say there was a particular time and place but I know it happened after a series of strokes and heart attacks of acquantances in my age group. I finally decided that I didn’t need to please everybody, that I didn’t need to worry “what other people think”, that I could, in fact, be myself.

Now, I still have to put up with the politics in the workplace and the unavoidable requirement to earn a living (I can’t imagine much worse than being old AND poor) but, after 51 years I guess I finally quit putting everyone else first and have begun to focus more on my immediate family.

Now, if I could only figure out what I want to do when I grow up.