Amanda - Vista, California

Throughout the short amount of time I have been around, I really haven’t been too focused on developing myself as individual and forming my own belief system. I have noticed many peculiarities, though. As a result, I have made theories regarding the world around, one being that I believe that the selflessness of people is what truly makes our world a better place. I have seen in many instances that a single act of kindness truly has a greater affect on the world as a whole. I almost interpret the whole idea as like a chain letter. Once a chain letter is sent, it is passed on to another person, who in turn passes it on. In this way, I think that one act of kindness done on to one individual eventually has the possibility of being spread throughout the global community.

I have had first hand experience with the idea of how the selflessness of one person spread to another. Last year, the kindness of one of my classmates really inspired me to show the same kind of compassion. After I saw a classmate join the Best Buddies Club and show an immeasurable amount of compassion toward another human, I was inspired to join it my junior year. I hoped that I too could help another person with little acts of kindness. While in the club, I truly saw how these little acts of kindness made a difference, especially in the relationship between my buddy and me. One event in particular embodies my feelings. Last year, I took my buddy Tina to the mall to Christmas shop. Even though it seemed little like an act of kindness on both our parts, it was a life changing occurrence. My act of kindness towards her actually was the first time in eighteen years of life that she had been out with friends and her act of kindness towards me allowed me to understand the infectiousness of compassion and made me a better person. With this I believe that the little unselfish acts that people do truly affect our world and makes it a better place.

Overall, I now understand and know that the compassion every person embodies will collectively make the world a better place. Every act of kindness will benefit both the giver and the receiver in addition to those connected to either of the two parties. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely help another without helping himself.” This philosophy truly embodies what I believe.