Sarah - Oceanside, California

I believe in learning to pick your battles wisely. I come from a family of short tempers. My mom and I can barely make it through the day without having at least one little dispute. When my brother and I are together we are always on the verge of an argument. But, these fights that we always manage to get into are rarely of any real importance. Normally, my mom and I are at odds because I won’t clean my room, or she won’t do my laundry. My brother and I argue all the time about stupid things like who’s smarter or which one of us is a better person. In the real scheme of things, these are trivial matters, and arguing about them never makes the situation better. I believe that it is very important to stand up for a worthy cause and only create conflict when there is a strong principle to defend. I believe in not creating unnecessary conflicts and engaging in meaningless arguments. This is only a waste of time, effort, and energy that can lead to no significant gains. We live in a society in which many people, much like myself, cannot control their irritation or anger and are constantly at odds with one another. I believe in learning to let the little things slide. It is not worth it to get upset about meaningless things. I believe in focusing my energy on fighting for a cause and trying to achieve real change in society. Where would we be today if our forefathers had not fought for independence and fair representation, or if the civil rights activists had not fought against segregation. Our world would be vastly different. I believe that we can learn from those who have come before us and fight for what we believe in. Imagine what we could achieve if we all dedicated ourselves to fighting for a cause that could bring real, important change.