Allison - Freeport, Maine

“We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit.” -E. E. Cummings

I believe in the power of yourself. The empowering ability to reach within to make sense of things when it seems like no one understands. I believe that throughout your life, you will have many people who love and care for you, but many will come and go with the years. In the end, the only person you can truly count on is yourself. I feel very strongly about having self confidence in all you do, and the importance of challenging yourself daily, reaching out of your comfort zone, and proving to yourself what you’re capable of.

Self growth is important in maintaining a strong self power. Something that many people don’t know about me is that I am competitive. I am quietly competitive, and don’t draw attention to myself, but I love the feeling of accomplishment that follows. When I run, I run against myself. When I run with other people, I love to race them, silently, but we both move a little bit faster. Coming to the finish, I give it everything I have and run and run, pushing myself to do the best I can do.

Competing physically isn’t the only place to channel your inner strength. From day to day, situations will arise when you will need to quickly use self confidence to your advantage. Whether it is a feeling of sadness, anxiety, or hopelessness, easing your mind with the knowledge that you can and will get through it is a great strength to have. Speaking in front of a class is something I fear dreadfully. Whenever a teacher announces I must read something aloud, or argue a statement, a sick feeling overcomes me, and my mouth gets dry. Upon telling people this, they laugh it off and say ‘oh, don’t worry about it, its fine’. And I do know it is fine. But not until after the fact. To calm myself down, I muster up my confidence, and tell myself, ‘what is the worst that could happen?’. In my time of despair, I do know of certain people to go to for guidance, but there really is only one person who can free me of my fears, and that is myself. The only person who can truly change the way I view things.

I believe in the power of yourself. No one, Eleanor Roosevelt said, can make you feel inferior without your consent. Never give it.