Linda - Marshall, North Carolina

Fast Food Isn’t Always Bad For You

I believe that we incarnate on this earth for a reason, that we each have a divinely appointed mission. Until that mission is accomplished God, or the Divine, will comfort, guide and protect us along the way. The Divine will use any available method to get our attention if necessary; the key is in our awareness. Heeding unusual occurrences, in particular something that catches our attention in a way that’s out of the ordinary can yield miracles. I never gave this much thought until I had an experience that I define as Divine Intervention.

I was driving north on I-95 from Boynton Beach, Florida to visit friends in Palm Bay. During the trip I teamed up with two other cars. My inexpensive foreign import was sandwiched between a dark red Jag and a white BMW sedan. Our cruising speed was an excessive 85 miles an hour.

As we approached Fort Pierce I was overcome by cravings for French fries. There was a well-known, fast food restaurant a few miles down the road, but I didn’t want to stop. Besides, I didn’t like their food; I was eating healthy and I wasn’t hungry.

I grew annoyed at the persistent cravings; the harder I tried to resist, the stronger they became. When I reached the exit I surrendered to what had become irresistible cravings; I drove down the exit. Curiously, at the exact moment that I reached the service road, the cravings stopped. Feeling confused I considered crossing to the entrance ramp, but decided against it. I figured the cravings would just return.

At the restaurant I ordered fries and a drink. After receiving my order, I headed my car back towards I-95. I pulled one fry from the bag and bit into it; it was terrible, just as expected. I decided to throw the fries away at my friend’s house.

Back on the highway I floored the accelerator to make up for lost time. Less than a minute later I noticed some commotion ahead. As I slowed down I could see a severe car accident. It appeared to have happened just minutes before my arrival. There were no emergency vehicles on the scene, just a few travelers that had stopped to offer assistance. As I passed the wreckage I was shocked to see the crushed remains of the Jaguar and the BMW, along with another car. I had been cruising with those two cars for about fifteen minutes, contentedly cushioned between them. I knew, without a doubt, that I would have been involved in that accident had I not stopped for fries.

That experience changed my life; I no longer worry when things don’t go the way I expect, I heed unusual details and pay attention to things that seem out of the ordinary. I believe the Divine impregnated me with a simple food craving that spared my life. As I continued my drive north, awed by my experience, I humbly ate every last fry with tremendous gratitude.