Ryan - Albuquerque, New Mexico

If you ask me what I believe in I would say the normal, cliché things: God, love, my family and friends, being kind, the power of forgiveness, et cetera. What I would not say, and what it has taken me a while to think of is creativity and how my creative outlets can get me through the worst of times. My creative outlets are writing and photography. When I feel stressed and like I cannot go on because all this crap has piled up, I sit down and write poetry or songs, or I go outside and take pictures and take in the beauty of the New Mexican sunsets. The time in my life when I write and take pictures the most is when I am stressed or feeling depressed. I take pictures and write because it is the only way I know to get all my frustration out and it is what calms me.

Edward de Bono once said, “There is no doubt that creativity is the most important human resource of all. Without creativity, there would be no progress, and we would be forever repeating the same patterns.” I believe with all of my heart that that statement is one of the truest statements ever made. Nobody can be creative like me; nobody knows what fuels my creativity but me. Creativity is one of the only things a person has that is specific to him or her. And it shows at different times depending on the person, as well. The creativity I possess is mine and mine alone, no one can take it away or break it, even though they may try with all their might.

When I was in eighth grade, I got into gigantic fights with my two best friends and I began to cut myself. I stopped speaking to my friends and dived deeper into depression and my own mind. Eventually I left school because I got tormented; I also quit cutting. During that year I wrote so many poems and songs that I even amaze myself I wrote that much. But during that year of writing so much, I realized that that was the way to get all of my anger and sadness out. I grasped that instead of taking my anger out on myself and others, I should write it all down. Writing helped me immeasurably that year, just like how photography is now helping me vastly.

A while ago I went through some rough times with my family. We found out my grandmother had a bad case of cancer, and I broke down. I kept thinking I could not lose her and what I would do if she died. I figured I needed a new hobby besides writing to help me cope because writing did not just surge like it used to. I took up photography and it has helped me greatly. Whenever I feel too stressed, and when writing does not help, I go outside with my digital camera and just start taking imaginative pictures. I find that taking pictures is a good way to just look at all the beauty in the world and forget all of the negative things. Photography has been a great help when writing does not satisfy.

Without creative outlets and my personal creativity, I believe I would be an empty shell; I would roam the earth with nothing inside but my own blocked up feelings. Without creativity the world would be dull and mundane, everyone would be alike. Photography and writing are the only things that keep me sane in this world, I think, and without them I would not know who I am or what I want. I believe in the power creativity has to help people cope with stress. I believe that creativity is what sets one person apart from another. I believe creativity is the one thing I can rely on if I cannot rely on anything else. This, I believe.