Deb - Greensboro, North Carolina

This I do NOT believe

I do not believe that we can achieve peace through war. I do not believe that might makes right, or that torture is ever justified. I do not believe that spying on citizens improves homeland security, or that building walls protects us. I don’t believe that leaving people to fend for themselves after natural disasters is homeland security, either. I do not believe that destroying our environment, ignoring poverty, or hating others because of who they love or what they believe is “homeland security” or “family values.” I do not believe in fake science or standardized test scores. I do not believe that there is only one way to love.

This I DO believe

I believe that we must try to live up to our highest ideals. I believe that if we make decisions based on love, we can end poverty, war, drug abuse, and homelessness. I believe in this truth: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” I believe that if we live by this rule, we would find an end to corruption, child abuse, and violence everywhere. I believe that if we want it, we can educate our children away from unhealthy sexual relationships, drug and alcohol abuse, and a gangsta lifestyle. I believe that people want to find a deeper meaning in their lives, beyond wondering “what’s in it for me?” I believe that people want to do good things for others because doing good feeds our souls. I believe that the religious right is wrong and the left is too quiet. I believe that if we want it, we can create a peaceful world.