W. - Aliso Viejo, California

I believe that what we do, we do not for ourselves alone, but we do for all. I believe that what we think and intend, what we feel and what we radiate in our individual lives, affects us all. Our struggles and accomplishments, the obstacles we meet, accept and transcend, these things are done for ALL humanity. We experience life as personal, as if it were happening just to us. But I believe that in some way each individual life is happening to all of us, and our collective life is appearing in each individual life.

Physicists have actually demonstrated in the lab that two particles, once intimately related in time and space, are always so related, and can act together in ways that are beyond the normal Newtonian paradigm of reality. They affect each other instantaneously so they appear to act as one. It’s called Quantum Entanglement. If you consider that at one

point in time, at the moment of the big bang, all matter and energy existed as a single mathematical point, then it’s not surprising that it’s still all related across what appears to be the vast reach of time and space.

So as someone faces and transcends some personal problem, they make it that much easier for some other suffering soul out there to do the same. They carve out a pathway, if you will. And of course, they are also following and deepening a pathway that has been etched before by someone with the same kind of struggle.

I believe that when all is said and done, there is really only one of us. It is not that we are merely connected, like separate individual parts making up one whole. Rather it is like a symphony that requires hundreds of different instruments, musical notes and rythmic combinations to achieve its full expression. So it is that we are all different aspects of one, conscious Being — call it God if you will, or call it whatever feels right to you — that expresses itself through and as all of us.

Ghandi said that as one is lifted up, the whole is lifted up by that

same measure, and as one is brought down, so goes the whole. Jesus said that what you do to the least of your brothers you do to me. So, as you have a kind word or a smile for someone, or an angry gesture for an aggressive driver, consider that your feeling and your intent radiates into the whole and affects it, and therefore you, in ways that are not immediately obvious, but that set the cumulative tone for your life. In the east it’s known as Karma. In the west, the Bible says “as you sew, so shall you reap.” I believe our separate lives are not separate at all, but only appear so by a strange trick of perception.