Andrea - Sandy, Utah

I believe that what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger. Throughout my life, I had many hardships. I watched my parents argue, I’ve seen my dad cheat on my mom, and dealt with their divorce. After, my dad and I talked once a month and felt like we didn’t have a relationship. I found out that was my dad was married for two years without even telling his own daughter. I started working at fourteen and paid for all of my expenses. My mom re-married a man that I highly disapproved of and soon conflict arose between us. I moved out two weeks after I turned eighteen.

Then it got worse, my boyfriend and I of four years broke up. He was all my support and the only person I could count on. Feeling depressed everyday, I fell into the deep end. My doctor prescribed me an anti-depressant which only made me worse. I was numb to all my surroundings and didn’t care about anyone including myself. I slept all day and night and had no ambition to go to school.

I then started working at a pet store thinking that it would be an enlightening experience. My happiness soon went downhill after my fifty year old boss wanted me as his girlfriend. The worse part was that he thought I would want the same thing. Jealousy was abundant throughout the work environment and many girls started to quit because of me. It hurt my feelings especially when I knew I was not doing anything wrong. When I turned him down, he began to harass me physically and emotionally. Unfortunately I dealt with him because I needed the money.

As winter turned to spring, I got off my medication and decided I could work things out on my own without the use of drugs. I have dealt with pain and numbness with the medication that was supposed to help me. Now I know that drugs can’t fix anything. I have learned how to judge people and not to be naïve. My ex came back around and we got back together. He helped me get a job that had a much better environment. I had a new fresh start. I am now independent and wise about the consequences in life. I realized that everything I have been through has made me into a stronger person, one that knows I can take on all obstacles in the future and will survive them all.