Charlene - Millersville, Maryland
Themes: tolerance

I Believe……………

I believe that the friendship of an Arab-American woman is the most valuable asset that an American woman can have in a life time.

Being born in America, I remember a much simpler time. A time when family meant everything. Today, things are much different. It’s not so much about family as it is about what you can acquire for your family. And in the process of gaining material things for our families, Americans have lost sight of the family itself. I know this to be true, because I am guilty of this from time to time.

I grew up in a time when the simple act of turning your old union skates into a skate board of a scooter box was the ultimate pleasure of the day. It not only recycled my old skates and got every city block out of them that it possibly could. But it created a project for my father and I to do together.

Talking with my friend lately, has made me realize that I am not just fond of those memories because they involve my father, but because they are memories of a time when life was the best that it will ever be. It was a time when respect for self and others was common place. A time when helping your neighbor was done without them even asking for help. Back then family was all that you needed to be complete.

My friend said it best when she said “ you need money to survive, but you don’t need it to live.” When my friend and I talk I realize that she takes my mind back to that time when all things were kinder and simpler.

My friend is a very kind and loving person and so are her children. Her face lights up when she talks about taking care of her family and her home. She seems very happy when she talks about cooking good food and talking with friends and dancing. She makes me happy just seeing how happy its makes her.

I am glad that my friend and I are born of different cultures. I am sure that I will learn many things from her. Things that are new to me and things that I have forgotten. But one thing is for sure, in the short amount of time that I have known her I have learned that she makes me want to be the best person that I possibly can be. This I believe!