Brittanie - St. Louis, Missouri

One Call Away

I am a 17 year old female, who gives constant attention to my best friend, my cell phone. For teenagers, cell phones are a means of constant communication with the people that you love most. For example, my speed dial consist of my parents, my boyfriend, my best friend, and the local pizzeria. To ensure that I always answer these calls I began to use the new invention of assigning my favorite songs to specific incoming callers. Not only can this be used to play my favorite song, but it also alerts me about the callers that I really just don’t want to talk to. I believe that every person has the right to personalize their cell phone with distinctive ringers for each caller.

There have been times when my cell phone has rung and I accidentally picked up the phone for the wrong person. I was then obligated to entertain them for a few brief moments. The last straw happened on a late Saturday night. My cell phone that lay in my bed alongside my comatose body begin to play “Head and Shoulders” to indicate that at four o’clock in the morning, I had an incoming call. Since I expected that the incoming call was from my boyfriend, I answered the phone in a voice of exhaustion but yet full of enthusiasm, “Hey Baby.” There was a brief silence and then a guy responded “Britt, I didn’t think you were awake.” My brain began to work and I finally realized that I was not on the phone with my boyfriend but an old friend instead. My final response before ending the call was “I’m sleeping…try again.” After that incident, I changed my phone settings to allow certain people to have a distinctive ring tone when they called.

These fun music ringers often come in handy because I get to hear my favorite music while I dodge a call. For example, I was the third person in a line of 10 people at the express check-out counter at the local grocery store; my cell phone began to vibrate as it played one of Tupac’s greatest hit, “Dear Momma”. I automatically knew that my mother was calling to request another item that will put me one item over the express lane requirement. I let the song play its four intervals until my phone beeped and indicated that I missed a call. My response later to my mother consisted of “Oops, Mom… I left my phone in the car.” Ring tones allow me not only to dodge unwanted calls from my parents and other miscellaneous people but I can get my groove on wherever I please.

My life has been made easier because I practice my belief of personalized ring tones everyday. Without looking at the phone I can determine if I truly want to pick up my phone before it is too late. Ring, Ring…Pick up the phone…Not.