Nicholas - Topeka, Kansas
Themes: courage, setbacks

Waiting Has It’s Rewards.

I love to fly. Even though I live in Topeka, Kansas and the nearest major airport is almost 90 minutes away in Kansas City, Missouri. I can’t wait to get on a plane and go someplace like, Phoenix, Arizona or Washington, D.C. I have traveled all over the country.

Every time I fly, I have to deal with one of the pitfalls of flying….waiting. Always waiting! Waiting to get to the airport. Waiting to check in my bag and get a boarding pass. Waiting for hours in those square leather chairs until the plane is ready to board. My fingers are tapping on the armrest. My shoes are tapping off the floor. After the plane lands I am always relieved…then I have to go to baggage claim.

But I believe that this waiting has its rewards. When I walk out of the airport with an old friend, or admire the scenery of my new surroundings then I know it was worth the wait.

After I graduated high school in 1990. My friends were already going to work or getting ready for college. But I had to wait awhile to get my first job.

In 1991 my mother shared some new information with me. She told me that I have a developmental disability, not just simply a learning disability like I thought. After I learned all the facts about my disability, I was actually kind of relieved. A few weeks later my mom and I went to a local agency that provides services and support for people with developmental disabilities. This agency also helped my mom and I when I was a child. We wanted to know if I might be eligible for job training, or, assistance finding a job in the community? The agency placed my name on a waiting list for their services.

I always knew that I could work. I believed that I could find a job. I just kept telling myself that when my opportunity came along that I was going to make the most of it.

Then in 1994, I was taken off the waiting list. In November of that year, I was hired by a large law firm, as a file clerk. Today I work for an agency that provides advocacy and legal services for people with disabilities in Kansas. I am the Office Assistant.

Since I was patient and waited for my opportunity. I have been rewarded with the fulfillment and satisfaction of doing the kind of work that I always knew I could do.

I have also been rewarded with the opportunity to make some life-long friends.

I believe that life takes patience.

I believe the old saying that says, “Nothing happens over night.”

I believe that if you have a goal to achieve in life? If there is something that you really want in life? You will wait as long as it takes to get it, or make it happen.

I believe waiting always has it’s rewards.