Tanya - Boise, Idaho

Always Stop and Smell the Roses

Always stop to smell the roses. This I believe. All through my childhood, flowers amazed me. The sweet smells, the bursting colors, and the great poise; it was all so beautiful to me. As the years go by, the days get busier, the hours become shorter, and my pace of life gets faster. I seem to just pass the beauty of flowers, as if they don’t matter.

One particular story brought me back to my belief of always stopping to smell the roses. It was a breezy, beautiful summer evening and my family was walking back to the car after a wonderful dinner. My soon-to-be little sister bent down and was determined to sniff each and every flower bursting with color beside the sidewalk. We were running late and my stepmother was hustling her into the car. With great commitment she refused.

This little quarrel turned into a colossal spat. There was kicking and screaming and aggression involved. Eventually everyone was in the car, but the little girl was in tears. Every vain in her body was determined to get a whiff of the sweet smell of flowers. We were almost half-way to our destination when my stepmother ordered the car to a halt. She turned around and looked at the sweet child who desperately wished for the smell of roses and realized how much we take for granted. At this moment, we made an immediate U-turn and drove all the way back beside the sidewalk so Rachel could smell each and every pansy, rhododendron, rose, daisy, and posy growing in the moist earth.

This opened my eyes to the realities of how we live our lives today. What are we teaching our children? We must remember each day what a blessing we have been given. Appreciate all of the beauty and splendor that is surrounding us. Let us remember our childhood memories and spontaneity. Let us remember the excitement and joy in each day. Let us remember the thrill of smelling each sweet and stunning rose. So, all I ask of you is; please, slow down, and stop and smell the roses.