Susan - Ozark, Missouri

When I look at other people, I see people. I don’t see sexual orientation. I am amazed that many people still see this as a factor to identity. A person’s character goes much deeper than sexual orientation.

Christians seem to be one of those groups who do not get out of their comfort zone to experience who people really are. Having said this, I now must say I am a Christian. I do not say this with shame. On the contrary, I say this with my eyes wide open and with honor. While some Christians do judge, others try to be like Christ and see people for who they are and not what they are. I want to know the person, and I don’t want to turn anyone away from my faith.

For instance, more young people are “coming out of the closet” today. Okay, so they are gay. Is that all they are? Do they not have feelings, jobs, friends, family, and interests that make up who they are? I know of a case where a young man “came out,” and his parents served in high profile community jobs and were both Sunday School teachers. The “outing” was devastating to the family, but let’s get some perspective. It seems that all of his wonderful qualities had flown out the window and had been replaced with the “gay” label. No, he is more than just gay. In this young man’s case, his parents were at first selfish. They were worried about how it would look to others. This kid had been awesome at nearly everything he put effort into, and his personality was gregarious and caring. I guess his parents had a right to fear appearances because, sure enough, judgments were made. They had to make a choice to either love their son and disagree with his sexual orientation or turn him out. Fortunately, they chose to love him. I disagree with those who make themselves judge and juror, and I believe Jesus would too.

As an example, Christ did not look at the adulteress who was about to be stoned as a whore without worth. No, He saw her as a person, and He told the men, those who had chosen themselves to be judges and jurors, if there was one among them without sin to cast the first stone. Well, we know what happened next. They had to leave because they knew they, too, had sin in their lives. With the young gay man, would it not be better to say, “I love you for who you are, but I do not agree with your lifestyle?” Seriously, people agree to disagree all the time. We do not know what another person’s destiny holds. Wouldn’t it be better to just say, “I am here for you, and I love you”? Isn’t that the Christian way? I believe if those who love him want him to be a good man, they should encourage him in all the other areas of his life. None of us are perfect, so those of us who think so need to get over it and look deeper at themselves and the lives of those around us. Compassion and love do not come with conditions. This I believe.