Brittney - Peshtigo, Wisconsin

People are different for a reason, but it doesn’t mean that they should be treated differently. I believe that everybody should be treated equally and with the same respect. Whether any person is black or white, has long hair or short, is fat or tall, skinny or small they are all equal. By saying I believe people should be treated equally, I don’t mean a woman should have to do a man’s job, or vise versa, a man doing a woman’s job, it is just a fact that has to be faced. No matter what our sex may be, there are some situations that are treated differently. For example some mothers enter the workforce while the father stays at home with the kids, by doing this the stereotypical mold is broken which is something that needs to be done these days.

I believe that the people who can accept the differences and still treat people with the respect they deserve truly is the bigger person in a sticky situation, and those who choose to treat people like garbage so they can feel better about themselves have some serious searching to do so they can find their inner peace. I believe that the people who treat others how they deserve to be treated can easily sleep at night knowing they are in good graces with God. I believe that no matter what we do or where we go there will always be people who think it is cool to make fun of someone with glasses or call a black person a dirty name, but knowing that there are just as many good people as there are bad makes everything seem like it is ok. I believe people should be able to show their individuality and not be criticized for it.

The people of the United States has its ways of stereotyping people because they live in a rundown house on the outskirts of town or because they don’t have the money to go and buy expensive clothes. I believe that kids in school shouldn’t be teased about the clothes they wear because their parents can’t afford the expensive ones. I believe that our country should stop being so stereotypical just so the higher people can feel better about themselves when they go to bed at night.

The fact of the matter is that we all live in the same country and we all breathe the same air, most of us attend the same schools and walk the same streets. We eat the same food and shop at the same grocery store when food in our houses gets low. There is no difference between the way a black person and a white person is anatomically, the difference is the skin pigments, and there is no difference between a person with perfect vision and one with glasses other than the other person has something wrong with his eyes.

So I believe that if we could all treat people with the equal respect that he or she deserves the world would be a kinder place and there wouldn’t be as many hate crimes or as much gang violence.