Elizabeth - Wheaton, Illinois
Themes: purpose

This I believe…

Perfection doesn’t bring happiness.

There was a point in my life where everything was about becoming perfect. I wanted to be perfect in every way, shape or form. I wanted the coolest designer clothes, the popular friends, to be rich, have a great boyfriend, and to be beautiful. I would spend every moment focused on myself and how to make myself perfect. Life was always a game of interrogating others and myself. “Does my hair look okay?” or “Do my friends like me?” I would spend every day scolding myself for not being perfect and try harder and harder to be as perfect as I could.

One day I just lost it. I came home and cried. I was sick and tired of all the stress I had put on myself. I had established the thought that if I could only be more perfect, than along with flawlessness I would gain happiness. But this thought was pure fiction.

I told my self each problem out loud, one by one. I went on for a while. Through tears I analyzed every problem I had. “Wow.” I thought. I was making some major mountains out of some molehills. I realized that most of my problems weren’t really problems. They were just little imperfections in my life that I wanted to make PERFECT.

I spent some time in introspection. I thought about the magazine I had just read that had told a story that was about a lady who was living with cancer and her time was limited. She still took each day with a smile whether or not she knew she was going to survive the next 24 hours. She didn’t try to be perfect, she just tried to make the most of her life and have happiness in her last days.

That day changed my life. Thinking of that female, I learned to be happy with what I had. I learned that nobody’s life will ever be perfect and that I should just learn to live with my imperfections. Maybe I will never be beautiful like the models in all those magazines, but I do have some muscles that are pretty awesome from soccer that I like a lot. I decided to look at the bright side of things and just to be happy.

Wherever you are on life’s road, make each day count. You won’t get anywhere in life if you try to be perfect. Reaching perfection is an endless task that you’ll never complete. Look at the things you have in life with admiration not pity. Don’t worry about what you don’t have. Instead love what you do.

Being happy doesn’t mean everything’s perfect; it just means you’ve decided to see beyond the imperfections.