Derek - Boise, Idaho

The Development of Classes in the Modern Age

Everywhere I go these days it seems very easy to see very distinct classes in society. At my age, you see this all the time, especially, it seems, when you don’t want to, you can’t escape it. The weird thing is how these groups have split up. Nowadays, there are really two main ways to be popular. The first is being a conformist, giving in to others ideals, following the pack, never breaking the rules of popularity; these people are often called preppies. The second way to be popular is to be a non-conformist, most of the time it seems like a fake face that people put on to become part of a group. To be a “non-conformist,” you must also be a conformist, for you must conform to another group, punks, emo’s, hippies, etc. There are certain things you must acquire that the groups expect for you to have or be. This often ranges from hair styles to clothing to habits.

When you take away these two major popular groups, you are left with one large group that has other cliques that form inside of it. Now the people within this group do immigrate back and forth between these groups and the popular ones quite easily, but I would like to explain them in the light of outcasts for the moment. The main reason that the kids in this other large group are not full time members of the popular groups is because they are too conformist or too non-conformist. This often comes out as an actual free thinking of the people. You voice your opinion and know that it is valid; you know that something is good enough for you so you try and tend not to worry about what others think, not conforming to the belief that you should follow the pack. Of course you have certain morals that you live by that others find as week or just plain weird and not one that should be held by any person. You may compromise these morals sometimes but never on purpose, unless it is for the greater good. You use these things to lead you through life and help you from becoming someone you do not want to be.

Another way people separate themselves these days is through the type of music they listen to. There are, of course, the punks, who often just want to be punks and think it makes them different from everyone, which it can, but they can also just be following a movement that they don’t believe in. Yet I have not in my time met all that many punks, but I still haven’t met one that really follows the punk ideology of the original movement. Then of course there are the emo’s, who are the majority of kids who are in to any certain type of rock. Emo stands for emotional, of course most people already know that, and that basically explains them in the simplest way. They basically have bands that are getting heavy play by whine about there life and acting suicidal. Though I do not wish to stop them from doing what ever we want because that is what this country is built on. Then of course there are the metal heads who listen to heavy metal, hard rock, etc. I like some of this stuff, but some of it I can only listen to a little of. Then there are the people that one of my friends and I slip into, the kind of people that don’t tend to fall into any certain group through our music or usually our lifestyle.

Through this essay I did not mean to say that certain groups are worse than others, because I don’t believe that you should say that about someone unless there is a really good reason. And when you are talking about a whole group then you really can’t do that because you can’t drag the whole group down because of one person. I merely wished to share with you all my sightings and views on what is happening here and what society has become. We tear ourselves apart from one another because we think we belong to a different group because of what we do and where we do it. I also wanted to point out how some people still uphold the rights that we see as an amenity like the right to think however we want and to think however we want. The minds of the nation are becoming constricted not by the government but by the own peoples’ refusal to let themselves go wherever they want a subject. I see people that I know would probably have some amazing views if they weren’t plagued by the burden to not upset their friends. The friends will be the ones to suppress each other when they all want to speak out, thus becoming common enemies of themselves. And that is my view and what I believe.

P.S.

I do apologies for I do realize that my mind kind of wandered through this essay and that I strayed from the point of my subject. I do believe in the end that I summed it all up to something reasonably understandable not meant to be offensive.

Thank you for hearing another voice.