Joyce - Canyon Country,, California

I beleive that family is not just blood related. Even though people say that blood is thicker than water, it goes without saying that sometimes family members hurt you more than friends. I have grown up in a mentally and verbally abusive home which I have come to realize that I do not have to accept my biological father as a dad anymore. There are people in this world who deserve the love of a child even if it is not their biological father. After being called horrific names and being degraded on a daily basis. It is easier to move on and accept the idea that how I am treated is not ok; I can find guidance and love in a close friend or even another family member outside of the nuclear family. My biological father recently asked me for forgiveness and I believe he should be forgiven but that I do not need him as a father figure. I have forgiven him a dozen times and now I have realized that beyond forgiveness is change. Although one may forgive, it is not always easy to forget. In order to forget the past, change within my father has to change for himself. He is not ready to change himself by getting help hence; I am not able to forget the hurtful and derogatory things that have been said to me since I was little. I have surrounded myself with love and guidance from friends and relatives. I have made a healthy family that is not solely connected by blood!