zane - st. francis, Minnesota

I believe that giving money to the poor is a waste of money. Instead they should take action instead of sitting around feeling sorry for them selves. We should help out but not give them our money. Most people think I am insensitive because I think this but this is why I think this way.

One time I was at a gas station across the street from a bar. There was a homeless man sitting there on the street corner begging for money. Me and my uncle walked over and gave him a ten dollar bill. He said thank you and seemed gracious enough, but as soon as we walked away he got up and went over to the bar. I was shocked. I thought that we had just helped that man but instead we had just made it worse for him. That day I stopped giving money to beggars.

Another reason was because half of the beggars aren’t even real. My friend was once driving with his mom and saw a homeless man on the side of the road. Another man pulled up and gave him a few dollars. After the man drove off the “homeless man” got into a nice car and drove off. When he told me I was disgusted. For that man to pretend to be homeless was very sad. His actions made me very angry. He disgusted me with his decisions. That gave me another reason.

I think that it is more important to take action. 1 hour of your time is more valuable than ten dollars from your pocket. Instead of giving money you should donate some of your time and serve food down at the soup kitchen or something.