Christina - Chico, California

§ This I Believe, Every One Should Have Their Own Identity That They Stand up For.

Ever since I was young my parents told me to be myself, and to never go along with the “in crowd”. This as you can imagine is really hard to do, epically when you do not know who you are, but I tried my best to only do things because I wanted it for myself not because some one else wanted me to.

I remember the first time I asked if I could get my ears pierced. I was about 13 years old, yet thought I was much older. When I asked my parents if I could, they wanted to know why I wanted to do this, my best answer was because I think it would look good on me so want it. Not a good answer in my parents mind, they thought I just wanted to do it because other kids my age where. They told me to think about it and make sure it was not because I wanted to be considered “cool”.

That night I thought long and hard and realized that there was no good reason I could give to convince them that it wasn’t to be “cool”, so I went to them the next day and explained the only thing I could think of, “I only want this for my self, not to please any one else, and defiantly not to be excepted by others.” The way I saw and still see it today is, if some one will only like you if you look and act the way they want you to they are not worth your time because you will never find a true friend in them. After telling my parents all of this they agreed that when I hit puberty I could get my ears pierced, I think secretly they where hoping I would just forget about it, but when the day came I got it done with my mom by my side, and to this day I have never regretted it.

I try to maintain my own identity at all times. When people try and pressure me in to some thing I take a step back and ask my self is this what I want, or only what they want? I try not to do anything to only please some one else, but do it because it is what I want. I have over years learned to stand up for my self; witch I found helps me keep my own identity. Any thing from piercing to what collage you want to go to, I believe that every one should be sure it is what they want and not just what some one wants for them. I guess what I want to get across is that I think every one should try to make and keep their own identity, because if every one is the same this world would be a boring place that would go no where.