Heidi - Rantoul, Illinois

I believe in the unconditional love of dogs. I know unconditional love can be found in many forms, mostly from family and best friends, but it is the unconditional love that my dog shows that affects me the most. Yes, I know friends and family are great and they say they will love me forever. But honestly, people judge, get angry, and sometimes are just a pain in the butt to deal with! My dog, Sammy, on the other hand, is there for me no matter what I do. I could yell at her for chewing up my homework, which she has actually done, or ignore her all day, but in the end she is always there. I remember every time I have been sick or sitting on the couch dealing with another sports injury, Sammy was always laying next to me. Whether she was sleeping, begging for food, or trying to play with me, if I wasn’t feeling good she could somehow tell and would be there to comfort me. As a teenager there have been times where it felt as if the whole world was against me, but it wasn’t. Sammy was always there to lick my face and make sure that I knew she still loved me. She is also the best listener I have ever spoken to. I can tell her anything without wondering who would hear about it next or how she was judging me. Her love is shown in times of happiness too. When I come home from college my mom lets her outside and she waits on the front porch until I jump out of the car. She seems so happy to see me that I can’t help but forget about the hard test I just failed. The unconditional love, shown to me through Sammy, demonstrates how I should really love others. I can tell when she feels guilty or knows that she has upset us, but no matter how mad I get, she still tries to make me feel better. If everyone could love like that, the world would be an amazing place. Sammy can forgive me less than a second after I yell at her, she will listen and let me cry, she gets excited when I get excited, but best of all, she doesn’t expect much in return from me. With everything that Sammy has given me, all she wants is a little bit of attention, some food and water, and maybe a walk or a treat every now and then. All of that I can handle. It is the unconditional love, shown to me by my dog, which has led me to believe that the world really is a good place. I think everyone should experience this unconditional love, and then try to implement it in their life. Who knows, if everyone starts to love each other like my dog has loved me, then maybe dogs really can change the world.