Alexandra - Denver, Colorado

I believe that every citizen is in charge of his or her life; I believe that it is their responsibility to make a difference in their community by taking action on what they believe. I can stand up for my rights in my democracy and change an issue to my beliefs.

As a child, I never thought I would fight for myself or others, but as I have grown I have learned that in order to get what I deserve and need, I have to fight for myself.

When I was in the fourth grade, I started to stand up for my friends and I by telling the mean bullies that I did not like it when they bullied me and it hurt my feelings. I often times stood up for myself when my friends were bullying me, which was hard because I respected and loved that person. I believe through this, I have brought out my true courage and leadership that I can and am responsible for having in my community.

This year, I did this when I felt like a group member was not helping me in my work and was taking advantage that I would do the work if he slacked off. I confronted this person, and told him how I felt. From doing this, I resolved the issue, helping and supporting myself.

This year I have fought for others and my protection of life, liberty and property. In my Project Citizen, where an ordinary citizen changes or tries to change their government by taking action on what they believe. I have been protecting domestic partners by supporting them through a bill. This bill provides them the protection of their life, liberty and property, giving them the equal protection that I believe they deserve. I have written letters and talked to my government pursuing a change that I believe needs to happen. I have stood up and fought for others by taking action.

How can I show my responsibility through courage and leadership? I believe that I can just say no to someone and that makes a difference, or I can stand up in my government and change an issue I see into my beliefs.

It does not take a president or a senator to reach their government or community and fight for their beliefs. I believe that any ordinary person can fight for themselves and others. I believe it is every citizen’s responsibility to fight for themselves in crowds of disagreement.

I believe that citizen’s role is to fight for their beliefs because it can protect them and support them and their society. Not only is it important to stand up for myself, it is important to me that I stand up for my society. When I change my society, I can help others to have an easier and better life. I can make a difference in my community and I can truly be in charge of my life without the restraints of government and others.