Larry - North Ridgeville, Ohio

In this world of twenty-four hour news channels few stories transcend the constant rotation of news, trivia, and frivolity to grab public attention. The dominant headlines of the last year and a half have been the war in Iraq, political corruption, and fluctuating energy costs. These have been continuous stories which have had developments on a daily basis. But during this same time period there has been one other item of interest which has been able to hold the world’s attention without the issue at hand ever changing or developing. It has inspired intellectual debates and has fueled passions. For this reason, I believe in The DaVinci Code.

By this I do not mean I believe in the stories of secret societies, grail conspiracies, and church corruption; I have opinions on all of that, but they are immaterial for the issue at hand. What makes me believe in this book is its ability to make tens of millions of people pick it up and read it. Moreover it has had the ability to make people think about the story it contains and has compelled them to read other related books or to pick up their Bibles. It has driven people to further educate themselves and to ask questions about the things they have always been told were true.

Most American Christians tend to grow up Catholic or protestant because their parents were Catholic or protestant. There is an assumption that all sects of Christianity are basically the same and we attend the church that is convenient. There is no particular connection to doctrine or creed. We just recite the mass or service as we have always done and go home to a meal cooked by mom.

But this book is helping to change that. This book is making people look at doctrine and creed. It is making people ask if they believe the words in the Bible could mean more or if they do mean what has always been taught. They are asking if Jesus is the figure they have believed in and been taught he was. People are once again connecting with their personal faith and becoming informed about the spiritual world around them.

Unfortunately this book has also brought out some of the ugliness in society. Some organized religious groups are picketing or boycotting the recently released movie version, and the organizations depicted within the story have been calling for apologies and disclaimers for how they are portrayed in this work of fiction. I still believe this is beneficial however because it is making people examine what these organizations stand for as well.

I believe in examining your personal faith. I believe in further examining preconceived notions and the things you were always just told were true. I believe in open-mindedness to all ideas and being able to choose what I will believe. I believe you should never stop educating yourself. I believe this book is allowing people do these things, so I believe in the DaVinci Code.