Kaitlyn - Westwood, California

I Believe That Family Is Important

When you are born into this world you are given two human beings who love and

adore you; your parents. Many grow to feel the same love for their parents. But on the

other hand some grow to dislike them.

Every kid needs a mom and a dad. I grew up with luckly both until I was seven.

My mom and dad grew apart and got divorced. I was “shared” every week with my

After a few years my mom took custody of me and we moved to a little town in

the mountains. While my mom made this choice I was torn form my father.

At first I saw him frequently, but as years went by we visited less and less. This

broke my heart and the love for my father.

My father called less and less and then soon not at all, I felt so far away from the

man who I thought had cared. When I did go and visit I felt uncomfortable because of

the lack of effort he had to love me.

As I grew a little I realized that my mother was my family. I disliked my father

for not being there for me. How could you have so much love and just let it go as soon as

it was three hours farther from you and a quick dial of the phone away?

In the last few years I have changed, I have met people who’s fathers have died.

They have told me they would give anything to spend one more day with the man who

brought them into this world. I realized that if my father did not want to step up to the

plate, then I would.

As I picked up the phone to call him I thought of all the fond memories I had of

my “early years” with my father. Then of the ones that included the only contact being

made with my father was the child support check at the end of each month. I felt that all

of the bad should be pushed aside and I needed to make things change.

I have been visiting my father more and more since then and I am feeling much

more love for him than I ever have. I believe that it doesn’t matter what you go through

you should have love for your family; after all they did bring you into this world.