Mary - Orange, Virginia

My dad has shared with me many tid-bits of wisdom one of which, this I believe, has influenced my life the most. “Your name is one of your most valuable possessions.” He explained how having a fine reputation follows you wherever you go. Whether it is your career pursuits or your friendships, being known as trustworthy, dependable, and being a good listener will guarantee success.

I would continually recall this simple philosophy of his and would work on applying it to my life. I was more careful in the way I presented myself. Guarding my name like a secret treasure. Like fine silver I polished it, like precious diamonds I placed it in settings that allowed all my facets, my abilities, to shine.

I have never told my dad how his constant advice giving, lectures and long drawn out stories of his childhood have shaped my life. Instead, I have shown him through my life choices how I respect and honor him for all he has done.

I have come to understand that because my dad regards my life with such high value I need to keep it protected and undamaged by mistakes. As I enter my mid years of life I strongly believe that my name is one of my most valuable possessions. I will pass this belief on to my children knowing it will shape their lives as positive as it did mine.