Diann - Houston, Texas

I Believe You Get What You Need

In the words of the Rollingstones, “You can’t always get what you want but you get what you need.” I believe that I create my own experience within my Creator’s design to perfect me. Our honeymoon is one of many experiences which has taught me this.

I had reluctantly agreed with my husband to drive to Acapulco for a postponed honeymoon. Not that I didn’t want to go to Acapulco, I just didn’t want to drive, his fire-engine red Mercedes. My husband didn’t believe driving the conspicuous Mercedes in Mexico would be any riskier than driving it in the States. I didn’t agree but wanted a romantic honeymoon so badly, I went along. When we arrived at the border, we learned that the Mercedes was even more of a red banner than I had thought; Mercedes had been banned from import and were worth a small fortune on the black market.

The drive from Houston to Guadalajara was without incident. So, when I read about a waterfall in the countryside, I insisted on driving out to see it. This time against his better judgment, my husband agreed and we found our way down narrow, meandering country roads to a dried-up river bed. Angry that I had brought him to the middle of no where for nothing, my husband raced down the isolated road in a fiery blur, flew over a railroad track and landed with a metal-shattering crash in a huge pothole where our Mercedes spilled all its oil. The banditos themselves couldn’t have set a better trap for us.

Soon, an old pick-up truck came rattling down the road driven, not by a bandito, but a kind man. He tried to pull us to the main highway where the Mexican emergency service, the Green Angels, might tow us to safety. Again and again, he tied a rope to our front bumper. Each time his truck inched forward, the rope broke. With no more than six feet between the car and the truck and to my great relief, he and my husband finally gave up. Reluctantly, I left my husband and rode with the kind stranger to the highway where I caught a bus back to Guadalajara.

From the hotel, I called the agency of the Mexican insurance we had bought at the border. But, before the agent could send a tow truck, my husband arrived at the hotel. Another Good Samaritan, one with a chain, had managed to tow the car to the highway where my husband was rescued by a Green Angel.

The insurance agent soon met my husband in the hotel parking garage to tow our car to a mechanic’s shop, but naturally, no parts were available. Never mind, we had an insurance angel, not an agent. He went through all the red tape necessary to have the Mercedes trucked to the border and to allow us to leave the country without the car. We never made it to Acapulco, but thanks to our angels, we spent several romantic, relaxing days in beautiful Guadalajara.

As we stood in line waiting at customs to fly back to Houston, we told some Mexican-born U.S. immigrants our story. They were as nervous as we were when we handed our papers to the customs agent. We all breathed a great sigh of relief as the agent looked at our papers and waived us through!

Back home, we waited for the Mercedes to arrive at the border. Two weeks later, no car; my husband called the embassy. The response: don’t expect to see that car again. Nevertheless, few days later, the car arrived!

I wanted a honeymoon with idyllic scenes. I got more than that. I got what I needed, a honeymoon with ideal people.